At VISTA we help physicians apply for licenses in anticipation of locum tenens assignments, and for new permanent positions through our Physician Licensing Resources Division. One of our medical directors has had up to 19 active state medical licenses at one time, so don’t let the prospect intimidate you. Concentrate on the steps that follow, and VISTA will make the process as simple as possible.
• Keep very thorough records of practice experience dates, locations and addresses, especially when on locums assignments.
• Maintain a file of certificate and document copies. If any of these have been lost, obtain an official copy from the institution issuing the certificate.
• Be prepared to provide a detailed and thorough explanation for any or all disciplinary actions or malpractice cases.
• Do not discard court documents, even if very old, or letters from attorneys or from medical boards. Do not depend on attorneys to maintain your documents.
• Thoroughly read and understand every question asked of you on a medical application, especially those concerning malpractice, discipline, arrest/conviction history, substance abuse, and mental health. Be sure to answer correctly and provide a full explanation for each circumstance.
For more information about licensure in conjunction with a locum tenens position talk with your VISTA recruiter or scheduler. If you are interested in help obtaining a new state license independent of locum tenens work, contact our Physician Licensing Resources Division at 800-366-1884. Adventure awaits. We can get you there!